The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes.
Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Programme Assistant (Resilience) G5
Requisition: # 62002
- To deliver a wide range of programme support processes and activities for a specific professional area of work, to facilitate effective service delivery.
- Under the supervision and guidance of the Head of Resilience, the Programme Assistants (Resilience) are expected to take responsibility for completion of a range of programme support activities requiring interpretation of standard guidelines/practices.
- Job holders are able to recommend a course of action to staff at various levels and may allocate tasks to more junior colleagues.
Key Accountabilities (not all-inclusive)
- Collate information for inclusion in reports, documents and correspondence, to support the effective work of other staff.
- Respond to standard queries and provide timely and accurate guidance.
- Maintain relationships with a range of individuals through provision of programme support to assist in information sharing and service delivery to staff.
- Proof-read reports, documentation, correspondence, etc., making changes in line with established guidelines where appropriate.
- Process and manage routine administrative and financial tasks in various functional areas, to contribute to the effective and timely management of resources
- Manage and maintain records and databases, to ensure information is organised and readily available for staff.
- Contribute to improvement of programme procedures and processes.
- Collect and perform basic analysis of data to contribute to quality programme information management.
- Provide guidance to junior colleagues in performing their duties.
4Ps Core Organizational Capabilities
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Helps teammates articulate WFP’s Strategic Objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Suggests potential improvements to team’s work processes to supervisor.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Explains the impact of WFP activities in beneficiary communities to teammates.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Articulates how own unit’s responsibilities will serve WFP’s mission.
RELATED: Vacancies at HC Trading for Assistant Trade Managers
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Trains junior teammates on new skills and capabilities.
- Create an inclusive culture: Seeks opportunities to work with people from different backgrounds.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Serves as a peer coach for colleagues in same area of work.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Tracks progress toward goals and shares this information on a regular basis with supervisor.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Explores ways to consistently be more efficient and accurate in own areas of work and shares new methods of work with colleagues.
- Focus on getting results: Focuses on getting results and tracks trends in completion rates for own tasks to identify opportunities for efficiency.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Takes responsibility for own tasks and notifies supervisor as soon as possible of potential delays in meeting deadlines or commitments.
- Be Decisive: Independently decides what action to take when faced with critical choices in the workplace or in dangerous situations in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Suggests opportunities for partnering with other units to supervisor.
- Build strong external partnerships: Identifies opportunities to work with colleagues and partners in the field towards common goals.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Develops an understanding of the value of WFP’s teams and external partners in fulfilling team’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Aligns own activities with supervisor’s priorities to fulfill internal and external partner needs.
Standard Minimum Qualifications
- Completion of Secondary School Education.
- A First University Degree (BSc) in Natural Resources Management, livestock, Agronomy, SWC, hydrology, water engineering and Rural development is desirable.
- Minimum of 3-5 years experience.
- Fluency in both oral and written communication in English Language.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Knowledge of specialised common programming methods and skills gained through relevant technical training and experience.
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships with a range of individuals in order to provide a high quality support service.
- Ability to carry out basic data analysis and independently rectify problems requiring attention.
- Ability to monitor and report programme activities
- Good communication skills required to give and receive information and work with a variety of individuals.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
Programme Lifecycle & Food Assistance:
- Can facilitate implementation of food assistance programmes under guidance using basic understanding of principles and good practices of programme design, implementation and monitoring.
Transfer Modalities (Food, Cash, Vouchers):
- Demonstrates ability to facilitate, under guidance, food assistance programme implementation that deploys full range of transfer modalities with an understanding of basic principles guiding modality selection and implementation.
Knowledge of Specialized Areas:
- Understands basic technical concepts and data and their relevance to food assistance programmes.
- Displays capacity to provide inputs into the development, implementation and realignment of high quality emergency programmes.
Strategic Policy Engagement w/Govt:
- Understands and applies basic principles of engagement with government counterparts at the national or local level.
Desired Experiences for Entry into the Role
- Has facilitated communication with technical teams (i.e. nutrition, VAM, etc.).
- Has contributed to implementation of programmes.
- Has observed or assisted with policy discussions.
Terms and Conditions
- Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Only Nigerian national (or residents with valid residence & work permits) are eligible to apply for this position.
- Applications should be submitted online and English only.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Candidates found to be canvassing for the position in any form will be disqualified.
Application Deadline: 2nd September, 2017.